Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Hit and a Miss

One of the most exciting plays in baseball is a triple.  If someone gets a triple you can't leave them stranded, you've got to find a way to score; base hit, sacrifice fly, even a ground ball to the right side will usually do it.  No way you leave them out there.

Recently, I was in Peet's Coffee and they had a sheet to sign up for their email list.  Great, one more email to deal with.  But, the sign did promise exclusive offers and deals and who am I to say, "no"; coffee is expensive!

A couple of weeks later I received my first correspondence.  A coupon for a free drink of my choice with no strings attached!  Wow, Peet's had figured out a way to surprise and delight me and suddenly I was standing at third base and all I had to do is pick up my drink.

I stopped by Peet's a couple days later on my way to work.  It was about 8am, peak time of the morning.  I walked in and the line almost reached the door, that was unusual.  It didn't take long to realize they were experiencing some kind of software problem.  The cash registers were down and the staff was having a difficult time ringing up orders.  You could tell the people behind the register were becoming more and more frustrated.  The grumbling was loud and it began making the customers feel uncomfortable.

Quick, do something to surprise and delight me!  I came in here standing at third, all you had to do is deliver a simple beverage and I'd score the winning run.  Instead you went to the back office for a pad of paper and tried to manually ring people up.  Those of us in line almost felt like apologizing for ordering a latte.  Why not do something unconventional?  "Sorry folks, we're having some problems with our computer.  We apologize for any inconvenience but, today the coffee is on us!"

The employees of Peet's could have been hero's and we all could of been winners.  Instead I was left stranded at third.

No comments:

Post a Comment