Wednesday, June 8, 2011

You had me at, "maybe"

You ever get in one of those conversations that go nowhere?  "What do you want to do?"  "I don't know, what do you want to do?"  In business it goes like this, "Now that I've completed my dynamic and incredibly original presentation are you ready to buy?"  "Maybe".  Suddenly, you're no better off than you were at the beginning.  Maybe worse.

The same can be true in your day to day business negotiations.  You want to make a personal connection so instead of emailing you call your contact on the phone.  "Hi this is Stan, sorry I'm not available, please leave a message..."  "Hi Stan, this is Mike calling to talk to you about that $2M annual contract.  Please give me a call when you can".  Suddenly, you're nowhere.

Instead of engaging in this meaningless practice, why not make subtle changes to keep you on the path to success?  "Hi Stan, this is Mike calling to follow up on the presentation for your network campaign.  I'm sorry I missed you but I'm emailing your schedule for the next 12 months.  Please review it, make any necessary changes, sign it and email it back to me by tomorrow at 5pm.  This way your schedule can start  by Monday.  Thank you."  Sounds simple I know but, it's amazingly effective.  Know when to be assertive and how to help others to make good decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment