Monday, July 18, 2011

The Power of a BHAG

Quick thought before I jump into my post; I watched a few minutes of the British Open this past weekend.  The incessant buzzing of helicopter noise reminded me very much of the infamous Vuvuzela from last year's Men's World Cup in South Africa - both annoying!

Proverbs 29:18 tells us "without a vision, the people perish;".  I have found this useful when casting a Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG).  This term was first coined by James Collins and Jerry Porras:
A true BHAG is clear and compelling, serves as unifying focal point of effort, and acts as a clear catalyst for team spirit. It has a clear finish line, so the organization can know when it has achieved the goal; people like to shoot for finish lines.
—Collins and Porras, 1996
I find, at the appropriate time, a BHAG can unite an organization and help it accomplish the extraordinary.  I don't use this bullet often but, when I do I make sure my BHAG meets certain criteria.  Besides being compelling does the vision border on the impossible?  Is it bigger than any individual (people want to be part of something greater than themselves) could accomplish on their own?  Will the outcome produce something remarkable?

This year marks the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  On the K-LOVE Radio network we decided on a BHAG to commemorate the date.  "Imagine One Million people making a difference in someone's life in a single day".  One million people all going out on the very same day and selflessly doing something for someone else.  Taking a day that was meant for evil and turning it around to show love and kindness.  I can't wait to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment